June 29, 2006

A New Acquisition...

For those of you that are unaware, I collect postcards. Like these ones. Or these. Of all shapes and sizes and types but my main obsession is with antique or vintage cards. Usually, I have to go out and hunt for these little beauties but this week I was lucky enough to be sent one in the mail. That's right. Precious goods delivered straight to my doorstep. Or rather, to a box across the apartment complex, adjacent to the pool. Isn't she pretty?



Thank you to Tony, an associate of The Boyfriend's that works in their Taipei (Taiwan) lab. He and another co-worker, Cecelia, were in Phoenix a while back and I cooked them dinner. They promised to send me a card but I figured the notion had slipped from their minds as quickly as it had from mine. Needless to say, I was very tickled.

According to Tony, this is an advertisment for the mid-20th century which is promoting the purchase of clothes and the support of the country's aviators. The Western Clothes and pose of the woman are most interesting. (Of course, if it were totally Western in style, her breasts would be much larger.) I love how I can recognise the style of the 1930s or 40s--someone help me remember the term. It's not Art Deco or Art Nouveau. What is it? I can't name the style but I can recognize it. Yet the Asian influence is also so obvious simultaneously.

Thank you, Tony and Cecelia, for the new gem of my collection!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home