June 12, 2006

Momentarily Motionless in Montana...

... Here I am. Really, I haven't disappeared off the face of the planet. Our wireless router has simply stopped functioning entirely and is en route to Linksys from whence it came to be re-educated. Apparently, it had gotten the notion that we humans are not the boss of it. Hmnff. What gall! And with that I continue with our tale of adventure through the ranch land of America.


Big Sky Country Montana. Where the Boyfriend's mother has an excellent townhome, purchased at a fraction of the cost of real estate here in Phoenix. She lives up on "the rims." Billings, see, is boardered by a plateau with a very sheer drop-off, looking down across the city. This is, of course, where everyone wants to live in order to look down on everyone else. Ha.


The Boyfriend's mom took a break from spoiling him rotton with chocolate and honey wheat bread to go on a hike with us near Red Lodge, Montana. Lovely. We saw two moose!! Close enough for them to mow us down with those ungainly legs of theirs. Let me tell you--their antlers look more rounded that the pointy tips of an elk. Up close, however, they just look like a great blunt instrument to gore you with. More pain and misery than a sharp point. "I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoo--no, a moose antler!"


Red Lodge was a great little town. We ate organic at a little cafe. I had a veggie burger with quinoa that was to die for and sweet potato french fries. We then shopped around the trinket shops, where I tried all the different sorts of huckleberry lotion until the bears were probably on the scent of me too.


I got to meet several of The Boyfriend's high school buddies, who seem very friendly. A comfortable bunch to be around, even at your first introduction. Don't think I didn't notice the marriage hint, however.

"So, is this the first time you met T.B.'s mom?"

"Oh, and has T.B. met your parents yet?"

"I see. I see."

You thought you were sneaky, huh? Huh? I did buy a ring on the trip up in Red Lodge--silver and small, though slightly abstract--but it is meant to be worn on the thumb or index finger. I think I have my quota of rings met for the time being.

Next installment: three days home through Yellowstone (ohh, ahh, ooo) and Utah (aww) with The Boyfriend (who I love very dearly, disparaging marriage comment notwithstanding)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home