January 08, 2006

Jerome: "We are all here because we are not all there"

... Or so reads the souvenir bumper sticker from this town, the latest in The Boyfriend and I's excursions on the motorcycle. Took the scenic route up through Prescott, AZ into Jerome--a tiny, antique town perched upon a steep flank of a mesa. Some buildings are supported with stilts on the edge that faces downhill, which creates amazing panoramic vistas. Where we ate, for example, The Flatiron Cafe, the three-table large dining area was enclosed on all sides with windows. It gave the perception that we sat at the prow of a ship pointed downhill, into a narrow curve of road that drifted with gravity down, down, down, like water, a stream. And the panninis were delectible--nothing to beat fresh basil on mozzarella or horseradish on thick-sliced, pink roast beef. The town is of the type we've stumbled on once or twice--Bisbee, AZ or Julian, CA come to mind--where history was abandoned only to be reclaimed by artists, antiquers, and colorful characters. Where the noise of motorcyles rumble through town and the original brickwork peeks out of newly painted walls.

We also used our new Gerbing jackets for the first time since we got them in September. Mine is a close-fitting inner coat I wear in lieu of my usual jacket liner. It feels bunchy due to the wires running inside of it and I am still getting used to how to carry the control box--it runs from a cable inside the coat near my stomach, out to a little heat control knob and on into the plug that jacks into the bike's power. I must say it kept me toasty warm and that is no mean feat given that I am a typical, always frosty, cold-toed woman. We did have some trouble using both the jackets at the same time, however, which must be resolved. But hey, I figure if one of us is going to take presidence it should be me given the aforementioned icy-footed female condition. Then again, he does break the wind for us so...

Also picked up some new postcards for my collection--Oh yes, did I mention I collect antique postcards? Well, all postcards really but the antique ones are my most favoritist. There is something freeing and intrisically witty about a medium that must be kept so short. I am constantly amazed at the variations and continuities of humor over the ages. This one, for instance, was sent in 1907:

The handwriting reads, "I feel well but don't look it. Ha!"

Inside, "I drop you this card to let you know I am here, with a letter soon." Sent at 3 pm on Nov 4, 1907 to Minnesota. I believe the official seal indicates it was sent in Montana, though I am not certain.

I also picked up a blank-backed one, which does not have as much human interest and can't be dated. Printed in England is all I know. But I couldn't resist anyway. I think I shall make this cartoon's attitude another of my New Year's resolutions.
Having too much fun laying around reading and idly tinkering with my computer today and so I didn't get around to FFF as I promised JJ I would. Sorry, Purgy, and I'll make it up to you somehow. Just not feeling inspired to write any snippets at the moment. Researching a current project instead--top secret, hush hush, details to follow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deadly Female said...

What an intriguing snippet of life in those postcards!

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home