February 05, 2006

Correspondence from the Dead...

Julie was nice enough to pick me up a few more postcards for my collection while she and her mom were out antiquing. Man, I love these things. It's truly like receiving correspondence from the dead. I get to see their unique humor, handwriting, the journeys they took and who they left behind. A one cent postage stamp and the post office's seal of date, time, location. This one, for instance, is quite curious.
A nice, shady country road, right? Perhaps leading to a country estate, a cabin, a lake where you can jump in from the pier, maybe row a boat across. Nope. This is a picture of Cemetery Drive in Swedesboro, New Jersey. (Hiya at home. Wish you were here. Having a great time at the graveyard.) Here's the reverse.
Sent to Princeton, Kentucky on September 19th, 1907. Apparently in Princeton, Miss Elizabeth Raintiff (?) is well known enough not to need an address, street number, etc. Pretty common for those days I have found. Imagine if the world were still that small and familiar. The message has been written upside down, which makes it difficult for you to see. As far as I can decipher, the text reads:

Hello, Dearie: How are you. By now we are here in Swedesboro N.J. visiting my Uncle and are having a dandy time. I suppose you started to school today. My how I will miss dear old P.C. this year. I received the postcard you sent me. Thanks so much. It certainly looked natural. Will write you in a few days. Love to all.


Very dandy. Curious about the reciever's post card looking "natural." Is this for a small child (it does mention school, of course) that is just learning to write? And why in the heck is this written on a cemetery picture? My only guess is that perhaps the cemetery was the only point of interest in the town.

Now here's another one. No writing on the reverse and it was never sent. So, it's impossible to date it. The message, however, is timeless.

Man, I love these things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's a fascinating collection. I love the idea of trying to fill in the gaps with fictional exploits of long ago people.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home