July 07, 2006

Heifers...

Being the liberal-leaning, moderately feminist girl that I am, how am I supposed to react when my boss calls a group of women "heifers?" Granted, this was in regards to a wedding photo shoot that he was considering in terms of advertising material. The attractive nature of the bride, groom and wedding party are intrinsic to the value of that advertising. I know that. I may resent it, but I know it.

Does that justify the reference?


I have known for quite some time that this gentleman had certain notions about attractiveness being an admirable quality. In fact, it has gone so far that certain photography subjects are deemed "wall candy," as in fit for display upon the walls of the studio. Again, I know this attitude is relevant in terms of advertising a photo service--image is everything and we are all drawn towards beautiful things.

It makes me wonder, however. How many other things rely upon appearance for this gentleman? Did mine effect whether or not I was hired? Was it discussed as I have heard such matters discuss (i.e. these brides) when I was not present?

Look, I don't know if that answer is yes or no. I am not in a position to judge whether it is right or wrong. I only know that it makes me view this man as slick, superficial and unprofessional. Might I even say, gasp, sleazy?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ila said...

Hey, I know. Some men are just pigs and you have to ignore their oinking. If it's that bad, don't work for the sorry porker....

:)

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home