December 08, 2005

A question...

Serves me right for trying to offer up tech advice on my site. JJ offered a very valid question about my Feed Demon post that I will try to answer.

JJ said...

Do blogger sites automatically have RSS or do you have to set it up manually?


Well, the sites here on blogger automatically publish a feed for your blog if you activate that option in your settings--go to the "Site Feed" section and answer YES to Publish. It looks like yours is active as I can read your blog through my feed reader. Blogger, however, actually uses ATOM technology instead of RSS. Different brand name for the same product. This is how it works for me: In Feed Demon, I choose to create a new "channel," let's say yours. I enter your URL and it auto discovers your feed. You are then listed as a sort of email inbox (# New posts, # of Read Posts...) for me to check at my leisure. If I want to enter in the feed of a different kind of site--let's say CNN.com--I might be able to follow the same procedure. Their system is more complex, however, so I could go to their site, scroll down to the very bottom and look for an orange button . Click on that to see all their feeds (World News, US News, Weather...) that you can paste into your feed reader. Any site with this logo has the same capability.

Umm. I think I said that right. Will have the tech god of the household look it over for me and make corrections with a big red pencil. I think the program, or any feed reader that may suit your purposes, is definitely worth it. As I was told, by said tech god:

"Once you have acquired Feed Demon, you will then be able to easily keep tabs on what is happening with this web site or with any web site that supports RSS feeds. You just need to look for the little white and orange XML icon on each web site you frequently visit to start getting news feeds in the Feed Demon program. Rather than troll for information using a web browser, like Firefox, you can have all your favorite information come to you in one spot (and, of course, you can still configure Feed Demon to launch any hyperlinks in Firefox or your browser of choice if you like)."

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke Kuhlmann said...

I do believe the Blogger sites have RSS turned on by default. There are three versions of RSS out in the world today 1.0, 2.0, and Atom. Blogger supports Atom feeds. Regardless, most RSS readers should understand how to read the Atom format.

JJ, I checked your web site and you do have the RSS feed turned on. Here is your feed.

BTW, when RSS is turned on (see your Site Feed settings in your Blogger Dashboard) the default location for the feed is: http://[your blog address]/atom.xml.

If you have FireFox as your web browser, you can install Sage as an extension to enable your RSS feeds. Or you can use FeedDemon which is my personal favorite. Check out the FeedDemon web site for screenshots and more information.

Happy Reading.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Gnomey G said...

My my, dark knight. You are as verbose, technical and dry as ever. Though thoroughly correct, I am sure. Thanks for the hand.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Brooke Kuhlmann said...

Just the facts, Gnomey, just the facts. ;-P

6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Gnomey.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home