November 30, 2005

Count Down to Brown

Brown University--the dream of my life that exists slightly beyond the reach of reality--the MFA program that recieves 700 applications and accepts, yes, 5. Their deadline is approaching. I feel it weighing down on my neck like an approaching guillotine. December 15th.

December 15th. I sent the letters of recommendation. This year I sent Helstosky's instead of Prof. Evenson's as he seems to have spelt my name wrong in the letter. I guess I am not even supposed to know that, given the whole sealed and secret letter of rec process. It rather sucks, I know, that Prof. Evenson is now the chair of the department at Brown.

December 15th. I have finished my personal statement. I am working on organizing my writing sample--this is the blade of that guillotine. It counts for 99% of my application's merit. It must be good. But I still feel rather sick, a yucky cough with copper-tasting phlem. Yeck. I feel rather daunted about organizing and prioritizing my pages. Which one should be first. Which to include. Which version. Must get a hop on.

December 15th. Well, I suppose, given the chances of failure, I need only be worried about my own opinion of the work I turn in. The chances, even statistically, are so small that I should not, I cannot, pin my hopes on Brown. I must look at it as though I am competing only against myself, only for my own good opinion of myself. (Sheesh. Everyone falls back on that one when they are scared or disappointed with how they finish the race. Competing against yourelf! Doesn't make it not true, I suppose, but it does reek of a cop out.)

December 15th. Enough blogging, girl. Time to get a move on so you can stop blue-ing over Brown and move onto the schools that you will get into this year. You will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home