November 26, 2005

Yes, Turkey's a Pretty Boy. Yes, you are. A Pretty Boy My Turkey Is.

Ah yes, he's a beauty, isn't he? I should really say, wasn't he? The small Tupperware in the fridge hardly qualifies as continued existence. Too little of a Tupperware. A 25-pound beast and he went sooooo fast. There is not nearly enough leftovers as I could have wished.

I suppose that is because he was so damn good. I tell you, it may seem very nasty to rip open the layer of connective tissue between the skin and the breast meat in order to spread herb butter underneath in malleable lumps. (You can swedish massage them in from the outside.) You have to really go up to the elbow doing that. I really grossed out The Boyfriend. I can't blame him. It reminds me of dissecting pidgeons in Biology II in high school--the connective tissue that adhered all the organs together. But, ahem, excuse me.


I owe it all to Bon Appetit magazine and my trusty, blue squid. Ah yes. My squiddy came in so handy. It was a gift from my loving grandmother on my birthday this year and every one who ever has a basting need should really pick one up. They're machine washable, heat safe up to 600 degrees. With a small squeeze you can suck up juices, be they broth or melted butter or the hard-to-get-to drippings in the bottom of the pan. Then, squeeze again to release the juices and spread them on top of your lovely, dead bird. When the boyfriend went to carve my big monster, the juice ran out onto the counter top. Was a bit disturbing, really, until we tasted the taste-bud soothing breast meat. Not a dry cut in the house.

I also highly commend Bon Appetit for their Carmelized Onion Gravy recipe. Excellent match with the Spicy Sausage and Apple Stuffing.

An Arizona Thanksgiving for sixteen. We played pool in the club house with the doors open to a nice breeze. We ate poolside in the warm, afternoon light. Watched the sun go down. Hope everyone had as amazing time as I did. Though my family may be hard to beat--love you guys! (Even if you make me watch football!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

That is one handsome turkey. Thappy Hanksgiving!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home