October 19, 2006

Slip and Slide....

I have gone to Yoga three times this week, although I must admit that it hasn't been purely out of dedication and drive. Me? No, no. Instead, it was all about the free week I get for being a newcomer to the studio. I fucking love that week. I have honestly thought about going around to every yoga studio in town--it probably would last me a month of so, longer in a larger town. Problem with that cheapskate notion is that you (well, at least I) tend to get attached to the place where I shove by ass in the air, drip sweat onto the floor and let my shirt fall down over my sports bar when I am upside down in headstand.


And yes, I think I am getting attached. My legs are noodles and my head pounds a bit from too much fresh blood but I like it. It's different from my Iyengar studio or the Yogalates series I took. This is a power yoga/hot yoga studio called Corepower. Yup, you heard right--hot yoga. That's a very challenging series of poses in a room heated to 105 degrees for 1.5 hours.

And, hee hee, I haven't had the guts to try that one yet. Instead, I've taken the Core/Power Yoga, which is still in a room that is about 85 degrees. In fact, they have a little sliding door between the room and the reception area, an airtight door just like out to your patio or something but, instead of letting the fresh air in, you keep the humid and the heat. At the end of the class, the floor in front of my mat is shiny with circular drips of my own sweat. My yoga mat, which is supposed to be sticky, needs to have a towel over it or it becomes a slip-n-slide. At the end of the class, I need a gallon of water and the room smells like an intensely sweaty sock worn by an athletic teenage boy.

Well, okay, it kind of smells like that at the beginning too but not as strongly.

But, sigh, I like it. In fact, I am now able to do Crow's pose for the first time ever. See diagram one. Yay me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yay, you.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home