September 25, 2006

I'm in Love With a Dirty, Old Man...

Well, not dirty. In fact, he's fanatically clean. I know he's used a Q-tip to clean the hard-to-reach-spots on the tires of his motorcycle. He may deny it, but I know.

Old, however, that much is true. That's right. The Boyfriend just turned three decades old--the big 30 and, though I love to tease him immensely, I honestly think it is quite a good age to be. Young enough to be free to do what you please (especially because we don't have any of those ball-and-chain children around yet) while old enough to have a somewhat stronger grasp of what you want, who you are and, ahem, your wallet. That and he has those few adorable grey hairs cropping up at the temples. Sigh. Very handsome.

The fact that we just moved from Phoenix did put somewhat of a damper on my fantasical birthday plans for The Boyfriend. There are no friends around here to have a party with or to tease him. The burden of the big day fell squarely upon my shoulders. So, I planned a whole afternoon of surprises--three destinations to be exact--and gave him some Mapquest printouts so he could navigate us there.

The first destination...

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Yes, I know it sounds juvenile but it's honestly a very cool zoo built on terraces carved into the mountainside. That and they let you feed and touch the giraffes. My favorite? The dancing porcupine.


Destination #2...

The Golden Bee at the Broadmoor resort. An 18th Century English pub ferried across the ocean, operated in NYC for decades and then sat in storage until it moved to Colorado Springs in the 1960s. Excellent mahogany woodwork and yards (or half-yards, that was more wise considering The Boyfriend's empty stomach) of beer.



Destination #3...
The Cliff House. A four star restaurant and inn who offered a "Table for Two" online special. Three courses (house salad, chateaubriand filet mignon and dessert) for a decent price. The creme brulee dessert was to die for with a small ramekin of coffee, chocolate cinnamon and traditional vanilla flavors.



After dinner and the accompanying wine, The Boyfriend seemed overwhelmed with happiness about how his big day went (and also a little tispy).

Happy Birthday all year long, my darling. It shall be happy, I know, if we can spend it together. Love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home