September 18, 2006

Rocky Mountain (Mini) Roadtrip...

It was a bright and sunny Sunday at the dawn of our new Colorado lives and so we decided to set out on a motorcycle adventure. Naturally, I have seen many of the sights in the past, though it has been years and years, but The Boyfriend has the unbounded excitement of a kid in a candy store--no, no, like a tech-boy at a Lan-Party--about all the activities in the area.


We began our jaunt at the Garden of the Gods which, lovely and striking as it is, is only 10 minutes from our house. Not outside the city, in the city. It seems the signature flat-iron-esque rocks are almsot a monument and the "hiking" trails at its base are level, even, gravelled and travelled by joggers and their fluffy puppy dogs. It's like a city park but oh so much better. Look! There's Gnomey!


Next we puttered over to Manitou Springs (which The Boyfriend kept pronouncing as Man-i-toe instead of Man-i-too) for a bite at the European Cafe. Adorable vintage shops and hippie coffee bars will have to wait for another day. The Cave of the Winds beckoned, though we just hung out in the parking lot for the view and will explore the caverns another time. There is the town of Manitou in the distance, framed by some fragrant pines.


Then, we climbed 2,000 feet in 20 minutes to the hamlet of Woodland Park, where I lived until I was almost six years old. The picture may not prove the town's growth--it still looks quite quaint--but I see it. I remember when we were thrilled to have a Wendy's come to town so we could have a fast food option of any sort. Now, they have two Starbucks. Well okay, one is inside of a Safeway but that counts!


Excellent views of Pike's Peak from Woodland Park. The native Indians call it the Mountain of the Sun (or "Tava"). I just remember my mother telling me (over and over again) about how my dad wanted to name me Zebulon if I was a boy, after the founder of Pike's Peak--Zebulon Pike.


To round off our adventure, we went back the way we came through GOTG and stopped at the local Harvest Festival. Thanks again to The Boyfriend for so indulging me. I know craft shows aren't his favorite activity. I guess it's just not his cup of homemade soap. The typewriter jewelry, however, was fantabulous. I've seen it before and don't know why I haven't bought any yet. Oh yeah, because it's so freaking expensive. Sigh. Perhaps for Christmas I can get a pair of typewriter-key earrings. The options for right and left are:
  • ? and !
  • F and U
  • " and " - My personal favorite. My earrings would quote everything I say, without resorting those horrid "air quotes."




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home