October 09, 2006

Race for the Cure...

This Sunday, The Boyfriend and I did the Race for the Cure in Denver with my mom (who had been cancer free for more than 3 years and was walking her 4th race), my sister (who is ready to pop with that still asexual "Bean" in her tummy) and friends.

Denver has been, and was again, the largest race in the country. Last year, I walked the race in Phoenix and, though still edifying and enjoyable, that was a much more sedate experience. However, there are always the Pro-Lifers protesting at the Race in Denver, plastering grotesquely detailed pictures on vans and waving signs. This year the signs told us that abortion caused higher rates of breast cancer. Personally, I think they just want to preach to a large crowd without having to gather it themselves, which they usually can't. I don't think they get it--women are there to support one another and each other's breasts--to be each other's loving and warm bras, so to speak. Leave the politics out of it whenever possible. Preaching to the wrong crowd, I say.

This year, with the walk to and from parking, the 5k was easily an 8k but--hey--we had fun and I raised more than $200 for breast cancer research. Yay me! Okay, that made giving sound selfish so, yay Susan G. Komen! You really have to hand it to the Susan G. Komen Foundation and breast cancer activists everywhere for their amazing accomplishments in education and fundraising. A decade ago, 15 years ago, there was no unconscious link between the color pink and breast health.

Yesterday, I saw women with pink parsols, pink fishnet tights, pink pom-poms, sprayed pink hair, pink temporary tattoos/face paint and hundreds of pink boas (mine included). Pink has become an institution in this country, plastered not only on the hair and bodies of Racers for the Cure but on yogurt, kitchen utensils, socks, underwear, cured meats, vitamins, make-up, etc, etc, etc.

I am not lamenting this over-exposure of breat cancer awareness, though I agree we have to be aware of where our dollars are going. Commercialization is inevitable and, in this case, desireable because the message is out there--bigger, wider, more powerful. It may get a little kitchy, yes, but there are a higher percentage of survivors than ever before and, though it still effects so many women, they are in less danger of losing their lives. I'll buy some yogurt and mascara for that!

Now what about those boys? What color is for prostate awareness? Where are their races, fundraisers and temporary tattoos, huh? If I was aware of any efforts on that front, I would be more than happy to support the prostate as men have stepped up to support the breast (to be their jock strap as they are our bras)

I will give prostate cancer this, though. Their advertisements are getting very witty:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home