October 03, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today, Gnomey G turns exactly 27 years of age (but not until 7:30 p.m. my mother had just informed me, just to be accurate about it). To celebrate, let me share with you all the one gift I have received so far from my lovely sister:


No, no. It's not a condemnation of my lifestyle or a personal assault. It's a journal. Fantabulously great, isn't it.

Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays. It seems I have been swimming in a sea of birthdays the last few weeks. With all the birthday mania that has been abounding of late, perhaps it is time to take stock of things, to muse about age and maturation, to ponder the thoughts that always accompany this annual occasion which brings us one step closer to death and one step closer to wisdom.


Aging is not 'lost youth' but a new stage of opportunity and strength.
-Betty Friedan (1921-2006)





Blessed be the young for they shall inherit the national debt.
-Herbert Hoover (1874-1964)







The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes.
-Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959)







Our children's children will hear a good story.
-Richard Adams, Watership Down (1920-)





He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt.
-Joseph Heller, Catch-22 (1923-1999)





As we grow old... the beauty steals inward.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)





...and of course no collection of quote would be complete without the thoughts of the ubiquitous and ever-witty Oscar Wilde:

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
-Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)


Happy October 3rd!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home