September 17, 2006

Colorado Springs, CO...

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present.....

An event you have all been waiting for.....

The Triumphant Return of Gnomey G to the Blogosphere!

Thank you, thank you. No, no. You are really too kind. Down in front now. Thank you.

Well folks, I have to say it's great to be here in the beautiful city of.... where am I again? Oh yes. Colorado Springs, Colorado. Just flew in from Arizona and--boy--are my arms tired. Yuckedy yuck. Actually, we rented a U-haul for our crap and a trailer for The Boyfriend's precious motorcycle. I tagged along behind that triumphant processional in my little Jeepy, listening to books on tape and staying caffeinated. In the end, I took exactly one week off of work to pack, load, drive two days, unload and put the place in decent order (mostly by myself since The Boyfriend started back to work the day after we got into town). With all of that over-exertion, combined with a strange security light outside our bedroom window that makes it seem like noon at midnight, I was completely wasted and cranky for a spell.

Now, we breathe the fresh air and enjoy our lives, which frankly are pretty amazing. Yes, Colorado Springs, where Pikes Peak stands sentinel over a city of wind, his bald pate snowy white like an aging but kindly father figure. The view from the top once inspired "Oh beautiful for spacious skies" and we love the amber waves of grain and purple mountains majesty. And the autumn thunderstorms which strike most every afternoon. Absolutely love that considering we just left a desert whose high temps have been averaging above 110 degrees. We haven't even kicked on the air conditioner here yet!

Our apartment is beginning to feel like home. The kitchen, I fear, may soon become my mortal enemy. It is just so much smaller than my spoiled self had become used to and many of my appliances have to be stacked between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling. Plus, the lack of counter space and maneuvering room has me bumping elbows with myself. But, like the polite girl I was raised to be, we exchange terse compliments and attempt to get along. Perhaps one day we'll be friends. I hope. If the friendship fails, you will most likely be able to blame the kitchen--that be-atch who just can't hold enough junk in her trunk.

The apartment complex, however, sits atop a ridge with amazing views we have been trying to document for posterity. We walked over to the local coffee shop yesterday and took a few shots. Then today, we hopped on the motorcycle and toured through the Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park and stopped at a local craft fair. (Details and pictures of this trip to follow!) It all brings up so many memories--I was conceived not five miles from this apartment and Woodland Park was my home until I was six. And there is so much to rediscover and appreciate as an adult.


It will be good. It may have been a stressful two weeks to get up here and make all these drastic life changes, so stressful that my blog has remained empty. Even my book review blog has suffered. My reading hasn't (me? stop reading? NEVER!) and I now have four new books to catch up on. But it's going to be good. It's going to be very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home