August 07, 2006

Your True Colors...

I have a few standard rants that most of my friends have heard before--about how bacon (or pork in general) is not a condiment to be slathered on any available food (even salad!) or about The Boyfriend's dishtowel fetish (one for dishes, one for hands... No! Not that one!). Then there are the football rants, football being a truly fruitful subject for me. The players don't move anywhere but line up, run at each other, only to line up again two feet away. Their asses don't look good in those pants.

And, that most football fans are rooting only for set of colors or a stylized, somewhat ferocious animal mascot. The players change, the coaches change and even the hometown has been known to suddenly become a different city a state or two away. What stays constant? The colors. You are not a Bronco fan, you just like orange. (Please, don't kick my ass now!) And as much as I like to gripe about football, I do not watch it.

Until today, I did not recognize the similarities between my football ranting and politics. I thank James over at Heavy: Lift with Caution for pointing out my oversight:


"I'm still not sure how anyone could support either party, except in a sports fan kind of way. You grow up, pick your team, and that's that. And there's all kinds of fans out there. You got the guys who don't really pay attention to the game, but they have an affinity for one side or another for one reason or another. Then you have the dude who likes whoever is winning, although usually this is a kid or a woman who doesn't know anything about the sport. Then you have hardcore fan, the guy who thinks "fairweather fan" is a four letter word. This guy will support his team no matter how bad they are, and not only that, he hates your team. It's not just that he wants to win. He wants you to lose.


Me, I'm the type of guy who doesn't care about either team. I just like the game."

Brilliant, she says with glee. Now I can recycle my football rants and branch out to whole new subjects. Then again, much like that American pigskin fascination, I don't watch much of the game of politics, which means that I am not entitled to much ranting. I know I should make more of an effort but... there is just so much more on HGTV and the FOOD Network...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home