July 19, 2006

It's Raining Books...

I just discovered yet another awesome thing about being a writer. No, not that it is self-fulfilling in a way no other profession could possibly be or that it is the realization of a life-long dream. No, not the cool reaction you get when you answer "I am a writer" when questioned about what you do for a living. Instead, it is because I found out that I can get free books.

That's right! Free books, which is also the realization of a life-long dream (though the collection weighs heavy on the bookshelves and is a pain in the ass on moving day). How? Well, I have been researching an article about hiking with children--how to, what to bring, where to go locally--and found a book published by a local author about the subject. I contacted the publisher in order to reach this author for interview and their publicity rep sent me a free copy of the book in question, all about hikes in Arizona which is, handily, where I live and therefore hike often. She also threw in a copy of Arizona Hikes for Dogs--trails ideal for pooches and the hikers who own them. Why? I guess she thinks I will use that info in another article. Good plan because, hey, I am definitely thinking about it.

I bitch--we all bitch--about certain aspects of our everyday lives. Sometimes, a tiny little gift falls out of the blue, giving you a tickle of joy. Someone remind me of my free books next time I rant off about how everything sucks, ok?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

See if you can get Stephen King's latest. Tell them you're working on an article on home cremation.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home