December 16, 2005

Because it sucks to walk all the way upstairs. They are pretty steep.

I have always loved my laptop. I've had it since my last year of college when I had to replace my old machine because... well, because the water bottle and computer together in my back pack was not a great idea. That fried computer (that still had my thesis in progress on it!) was replaced with the lovely lady I type upon today. It's not a top of the line machine, no, and it is getting a bit geriatric. But geriatric in a Jack Lalanne kind of way--confident, powerful, but without all the juice.

I type this ode to my girl (you go girl) because only now have I seen the full scope of her abilities, her usefulness, her wide range of talents from finance to evening wear. See, not so long ago, I had gotten frustrated with the whole computer thing. I remember going to the public library to mkae internet purchases because they had better connections there. I had an update problem with Windows where it kept asking, over and over, for a disk that I didn't have to be in the drive--with that irritating noise of the CD drive trying to read air. Plus, the battery would last for less that half an hour without it's tether to the wall. But my pageant queen, with her silk sash and tiara, would like to thank a computer savvy boy for helping her out of that mess (and throwing in a wireless internet connection).

Now she exists as an extension of my fingertips and a necessary part of my daily routine. Once the setup was done and the bait laid, well, He got me hooked. In fact, even humorously so. See, my computer is down here on the desk off of the kitchen and The Boyfriend's is upstairs. Not only do we surf simultaneously but as a couple--by IMing (using Skype's chat function) eachother from only 20 feet (plus 12 feet vertically) away. It's dating in a way. We emoticon, send links, transfer files, send kisses and witty banter.

Let's give an example. For instance, he sent me a link to a review of the latest King Kong movie. I sent him over a picture of Flock of Seagulls--He didn't know about their infamous hair! I type him that dinner is ready. We type back and forth about printer problems for a job I sent upstairs. He reminds me to get Christmas wrapping paper at the store.

I'm sure that out here in the cyber world, this sort of behavior is normal, even enviable. But as a recent member of the non-addicted world, I can see the humor in it all. After all, last weekend when we hosted a poker tournament at our place (No, I didn't win, but he did.), we were speaking of blogs in a general way. Mainly, we were defining it for an unknowing acquaintance. After understanding the concept, she said, "Wow. I guess you have to be kind of sad and needy to need a website of your own like that." Then she blushed finding out that 3 of the 9 of us were just such sad individuals.

Welcome to the Enchanted Forest, Gnomey G! Carry your citizenship with pride. It's all in the name of learning and fun. Afterall, without such nerdiness, I would have never gotten to laugh again at the horrible hair of the 80's. Wow. That is one hot 'do, dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home