November 14, 2005

Love is in the Air

You know, every once in a while, when the wind blows just right and your muscles twitch with remembered movements and your mind drifts to champagne and flowers, you just need to get up and dance the electric slide in high heels with your slightly intoxicated family and friends. Maybe throw in a little conga line and some tamborines. (Yes, we had tamborines.) Perhaps a few incriminating pictures and a bit of wine nausea to remember the event or, if you are the really lucky one, a horrible bride maid’s dress to hang like a forgotten lamp shade in the closet until Halloween.

Yes, it is of weddings I speak, two of which I had the privilege of attending this very weekend. Needless to say, I am full of passed hour devours and airline peanuts and the bubbly head of last night’s champagne toast and elated at all the love and fidelity that is sweeping the world. Look at all the loving people. How lucky to be in love and to have cake. What a wonderful feeling when the groom gets up to say his vows and reads verbatim from the journal he kept when he and the bride just met—“Sometimes things are just right,” he had written and, the next week, “It’s official! I have a girlfriend.” Forget about the divorce rate in this country for a moment and how much the gift cost and let us revel in the joy of shouting from the rooftops about love.

Not that I’m in a hurry to be the one doing the shouting and wearing the white dress. Ha, no. In fact, I’ve mastered the art of dodging the bouquet as it sails overhead in its ungainly way. I’ve been known to push cousins into the fiendish projectile’s path. Sorry, Brezie. Brooke on the other hand seems to have a knack for snatching the garter belt which I don’t know how to feel about, scared or proud. No, I’m happy to be simply cohabiting at this point.

And maybe it’s the mild jetlag talking. In and out of Colorado in 36 hours can do that to ya. But, golly gee whiz, I’m happy for you guys! Congrats again Matt and Amanda! Congrats Pops and Julie! I love you guys. Hopefully you know I mean that this time since it doesn’t have that sappy, alcohol induced, Budwiser commercial smell to it. I love you guys! While I may not think that marriage is necessary for happiness or social/personal completion, it sure does give you faith in the power of love. The almost inevitability of love. In the universality of love and the powerfully personal uniqueness of each love. Sigh.

And if not for the time honored tradition of the wedding, when else would I get to electric slide?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home