March 22, 2006

The Latest Headlines...

Well, not Providence, not Rhode Island, not Brown for Gnomey girl. No full teaching scholarship. No Ivy League. That's #1. And #2, no Seattle, no Washington, not even a paper letter from those guys. Instead, I had to inquire only to get an email reply:

"I'm sorry to tell you that you were not accepted. You will be hearing officially from the grad school but I know you wanted to know ASAP. We also had close to 300 applicants and the fiction committee members told me that this year's submissions were especially good so the competition was fierce. Thanks for your interest in our program and good luck with your writing."

Only 300 and they accept a good number in comparison to some other schools. Probably about a 10% acceptance rate. And I can't even make that large-as-my-ass target? Of course, right now, I can't even get out of bed except to go to the bathtub or the couch. But I still can't wait to hear how much I suck from the 3 other schools I am waiting for.

Tune in next time for (rejection?) letters from:
  • University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
  • University of Alaska, Anchorage
  • Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore

On the upside, I've decided what my new profession will be if the Fictional Gnome thing doesn't work out for me. Meet my new gnome role models:




My name is Happy Digging Gnome,
I like to dig in the garden.
I am in charge of planting
flowers and vegetables
for my family to eat.


(How Bohemian, really.)











1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is going to sound placating, but you have to learn to thrive on rejection.

My agent told me yesterday he just placed a book that had been rejected over 70 times. 70! And the guy who accepted it had previously rejected it.

Sometimes it really just depends on what they had for breakfast.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home