March 08, 2006

The Excitement of the Great, Wide Open...

The Boyfriend and I leave for Europe in exactly three weeks from today. Yay! 1.5 weeks in Budapest and 1.5 in Stuttgart, Germany. I have my eager nose in my guidebooks and travel websites trying to suss out an itinerary of places to go and things to see (local wine and beer to drink). It all seems a little in the air, however, which is a bit disconcerting when you think we will be flying a third of the way around the world. I'm excited and nervous and scared of the Magyar tongue (our Hungarian friend calls it his "old and useless language"). But hey, if any of y'all out in cyber space have had any good or bad experiences out there, things you recommend we must must do, PLEASE let me know. I'm all ears.

Given the limitations of my current job, I had to give three weeks notice at work. There is just no way that they can keep the position open for three weeks and, well, I don't think I want to come back. Yes, there is always the money factor and, yes, that is a big one. But I will also know where I will (or will not) be going to grad school and so only need a temp, summer job. Hopefully one with less responsibility and headaches and bitemarks. I will not have a job when we return to the country. I'm so horridly irresponsible and, oh, it is so much fun, let me tell you. Working with children is rewarding. Anyone who has experienced it knows how it goes--when you're there, and pulling out your hair and wiping noses, you wonder why in the hell you submit yourself to it. But afterwards, you miss those little muchkins, darn it. The hugs and the giggles.

In the air. Flying around like a plastic grocery bag in a suburban breeze. No, wait. That was American Beauty. How about a feather artistically floating towards a bus bench where a tidy, mentally challenged man sit. No, that's Forrest Gump. Seems like a recurring theme of late. Where will you be in six months? I have no fucking clue. Geographically, economically, career-wise. Maybe I will dye my hair pink and change my name to Sunflower by then, work in a head shop. Or, buy designer jeans and pointy black shoes and a Kate Spade laptop bag--be a professor in training! It is really scary that I am 26 years old and am just letting loose from the sides of the pool and entering the open water. Let's see where (and if) I hit land again. At least I have a great companion in The Boyfriend. I know I have that support by my side, along with my brilliant family and friends, in my quest for my dreams.

But I do have one thing that will be concrete and final, unchangeable and utter fantastic. A thing that I actually have a time schedule for though, who knows, these things are known to be a bit early or late. I'm going to be an Auntie in October! Bring on the Anne Geddes pictures!

1 Comments:

Blogger justacoolcat said...

Sounds like a great trip. I do know some cyberspacers that could probably whip up a recommendation or two. I'm jealous, my best friend just called, he has been in Brazil and Argentina for 3 weeks of Carnival, hearing about your vacation, The Wifey is going to Italy April 1st, I live vicariously through it all. I was going to comment on the American Beauty, but you beat me to it. So instead I'll say, great sentence;
"But I do have one thing that will be concrete and final, unchangeable and utter fantastic"

Amen to that.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home