February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day...

No really, I mean that. I know this can be a wrenching holiday for some, a commercial-driven farce to make everyone feel lonely if they don't have someone to have dinner reservations with (four months in advance) or bad if that someone didn't buy them diamonds this year ("Every kiss begins with Kay..."). But I think everyone needs to be brought back to how I am structuring my day--at school, of course. I don't think any of us have too many bad memories from V-day parties at preschool. After all, you can't read or write, so all the card stuff is left up to the grown ups. Your allowance, and lack of driver's license, means you are not obligated to buy anything. Your fine motor skills are still a work in progress so, when you make that all-important gift, only a few splashes of paint, a handprint and some stickers causes ooohs, ahhhs, and tears in everyone's eyes. Then, they stuff you full of pink and red colored candy. Hooray for V-Day!

This year, we are trying to promote more healthy snack offerings from the parents. After all, a lot of fruits are red too, you know. Pink lemonade instead of soda. Yougurt dip and pretzels. But I, hee hee, get to be the beloved devil and bring cookies that they kids will get to smear with their own icing however they please. Be prepared for it to get in their hair. And the parents will be receiving a little piece of their child's art with the following poem inscription:

Roses are red, Violets are blue

My whole heart loves only you

Roses will bloom, Violets will grow

And so will I, as you know

So remember me while I am small

Smell the flowers, one and all

Because it’s only this year that I’ll be two

Roses are red, Violets are blue

Happy Valentine’s Day!

2006

Merry Cupid Day to all, and to all a sugary, chocolatey, gooey, sweet and lovely night! And if not, well, tomorrow it will be over for another 364 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home