November 03, 2005

Lead me not into Temptation


In the middle of my kitchen island sits a bowl, a crackle finish green bowl with a fluted lip that is usually filled with fruit of some sort. Plums, often apples this time of year, and even a large squash on occassion. Basically, whatever won't fit in the fridge after the tri-weekly store run that won't immediately spoil. I figure the visibility of the fruit--that vibrant color and the sheen of it in the flourescent light, which reminds you to wash off that wax they put on to make us more likely to buy it--the visibility makes me eat more of the things that we Americans are supposed to eat more of. Then again, I have to admit that even if I went rummaging through my cabinets and fridge, that I wouldn't find much that the USDA food pyramid says is a "sparingly" no-no. Open that crisper door right now and you'd find a few heads of broccoli and some soy-rizo spicy sausage. Oh, and an entire Costco case of vanilla soy milk.

Which leads my eyes directly back to my pretty little bowl. My shapely green bowl. My girlie, fruity bowl which at the present time is overflowing with Hershey's mini chocolate bars (assorted ) and Reese's mini peanut butter cups. I personally blame the enticing Target display, which hypnotizes any shopper with it's bright colors and mountainous assortment, brainwashing that one bag is sin, two bags is still restrained. Everyone else is getting six. Mommy? Can I gave six? I blame that and Brooke's deprivation of trans fats. Can't keep the boy on my health food forever, even if he does eat brown rice with a smile (and chopsticks!). I just couldn't say no to him, though he easily vetoed my suggestion of some fat free gummy bears or skittles. Chocolate. Oh lord, lead my not into the valley of the chocolate...

So, considering the fact that we had nary a one trick-or-treater, my pile of candy, that threatens my delicate little bowl with its caloric weight, sits there like a houseguest. Like a gift certificate that you have to spend, a bullet you have to bite. I have considered chopping up the chocolate and stirring it into some cookies. Perhaps I could half and half the white and wheat flour in the dough to lessen the nutritional impact. I tried to get Brooke to put them up in his office to get them out of my sight and, I admit, to make him the victim of their temptation as he was the one who fell prey in that hypnotic superstore.

But I shall have to survive for now with them sealed in a gallon Ziploc bag in the pantry. Where they whisper their presence in my ear as I work. Where they beg like doggie treats, passing themselves off as rewards. As in, nice job on finishing that story--have a chocolate. Excellent work doing those dishes--have a chocolate. Did a sit-up? Good girl, have a chocolate. I suppose I am an excellent Pavlovian candidate. Gee, I wonder what else I can train myself to do?

For more information about how your Halloween candy set you back, check out these stats:

  • Twizzlers 1 treat size pkg.= 45 calories
  • Almond Joy 1 snack size bar = 90 calories
  • Milk Duds 1 treat size box = 40 calories
  • Butterfinger 1 snack size bar = 100 calories
  • Milky Way 1 snack size bar = 90 calories
  • SweetTarts 1 treat size pkg. = 50 calories
  • 1 Tootsie Pop 1 pop = 60 calories
  • 1 Tootsie Roll 1 small roll = 13 calories

Or, have fun with this interactive game: www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/2004/candy/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home