October 19, 2005

The Third Degree


I had a job interview today, on my first day of freedom, which I thought was very responsibly responsible of me. Okay, okay. So I also slept in a bit and, well, took a small nap, but hey. The job interview went really well. But I put on a skirt for the occasion and went through the hoops. Besides an inordinately long personality test (112 questions!!), it had all the standards:

  • How many years of experience do you have?
  • Why do you consider yourself an ideal candidate for this position?
  • May I contact your references?
  • Would you be willing to take a drug test?
  • What do you consider your greatest weakness?
  • Are you a registered voter?
  • Would you be willing to sign a petition stating that the institution of marriage is meant to be solely between one man and one woman?


Granted, the interview was for a nanny agency and took place in the little old lady interviewer's living room/home office. She taught the piano as well and had primers littered across the instrument’s bench, gold-leafed scenes from the Bible on the walls, PBS Home Videos near the TV, and a little plaque of encouragement and affirmation (to her) on the side board:
"Good morning. I have everything under control today. I will not be needing your help. Love, God."
I was able to politely decline, citing a voter registration issue. I did not want to give her any grief about her point of view merely because mine is different and I'm glad I emerged grief-less too. I have no hard feelings, even though a job interview should never include questions about political or religious affiliations. Understandable. It seems all of her friends at church had thought of the idea, of passing around the petition, and the peer-pressure level at such meetings can be so very high. You know, embroidery is really only a gateway craft--it leads to much more serious activities such as macramé and quilting. Or dabbling in politics.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home