April 27, 2006

You are getting very sleepy...

I am being sooo slow at posting and reading blogs this week. Can't seem to motivate to do much. Having a decent amount of success getting out of bed at 5:45 a.m. and working for my peasley, underpaid 6 hours. Have gotten to the gym three times. Have only smoked cigarettes twice. I even sent out a few (ok, one) article query (rejected, we are backlogged at this time) and have a job interview set up for tomorrow afternoon (ghost-writing assignments, can I wear a sheet and make stutter-y, moaning noises?). But I can't seem to be myself or have much to write about. I am asleep.

Got the news that I'm not on Oregon's waiting list anymore for their MFA program. Well, they could keep me on the list until September but unless lightning strikes someone dead or they get brain-washed by Hari Krishnas... So I'm left with the waiting list at Johns Hopkins, which was a long shot to get on in the first place, let alone to move up and off of. So I have decided, no that's wrong. I have accepted going mentally to sleep for sometime to regain the strength to deal with the situation. Like a coma, see? If this was a soap opera, I'd have a white bandage sliding over my eyes and a blank memory.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What about blowing off the MFA and just writing, Gnomey? Do you really need that piece of paper? Hemingway didn't.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just wondering if all the energy you put into trying to beat down the doors of academia could be better spent just writing.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Uncle Jim said...

Hey, what is a MFA?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Gnomey G said...

JJ:
Yeah, I know. Nothing really sounds better but financially, well... Full-time fiction writing doesn't really pay, even when you've sold a novel or a few stories. You can't eat those two free copies of the publication you get from most journals. Plus, I really love teaching. I do it with the little tots, which is very different. But I crave to lead my own workshop, to be in a collegiate environ. Some day, I want to be Dr. Gnomey, Phd. But first, you guessed it, I need the MFA.

Jimbo:
Don't know if you are saying that literally or more in terms of "Well, screw that, who needs one?" It means Master of Fine Arts and it's a graduate degree you get after two years of artist-making curriculum. Yes.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home