May 03, 2006

The New Digs...

It is official now. I have a new job. The chorus repeats, "A new job! A new job!" as the back-up singers for the musical in my head. I started to work today, part time, only in the afternoons as I felt I had to give at least a week's notice at my father's work. Even then, I feel very guilty leaving them in the lurch when I promised that I would stay for the whole six weeks that Lucille was out recovering from surgery. I cannot pass up a full-time writing opportunity, though. They come around so rarely and I have been looking for oh so long.

Think I did well today. My first project is a piece about credit and how it can get all messed up, how certain creditors can screw you, thinking you are not watching your reports (which, come on, who does as much as they ought to?), making your life hell so you will pay them the money you don't owe them just to go away. The author has finished the book and I am merely editing it. Giving it a bit of gloss, right? First things first, though, I had to set up my new computer there at work. Instantly installed Firefox and Diga-notes, which I have gotten so used to that they function as extentions of my keyboard which is an extension of my fingers which is an extension of... you get the point.

I hope to be quite at home and that the opportunity will turn out to be the big break that I am thinking it will be. It seems to have been so long since something great happened in my professional life. Not since college, really, four years ago have I been truly excited about what I do. I shall miss seeing my father more often (Hey Pops!), even if it is in a work setting. The only other thing I shall miss (but not really) is one of the other girls here at my father's work. She just says the darndest things. For example, last weekend she celebrated her 21st birthday.
  • "Look what happened!"
    • "You're flipping me off?"
    • "No, silly. I broke this nail and I just got them done on Sunday."
  • "After next week, though, I'm not going to get my nails professionally done anymore. It's too expensive."
    • "Why not just start this week?"
    • "'Cause I'm going to make my friend pay for it. She didn't get me a birthday present so she owes me."
    • "How do you think that she owes you?"
    • "Well, I got her three bottles of alcohol for her 21st. And we pretty much finished them all!"
  • "I got a new camera for my birthday but I couldn't figure out how to delete pictures. But I somehow erased all the photos I took at the bar so I must've done it somehow. I just have to remember."
Ain't she cute? I forgive her a lot because she is young but I don't remember being quite that young only five years ago. She wears her heart (and her personal life) on her sleeve and I think, deep down inside those lowrider pants, she is a wonderful girl. But a nice desk in the sun without a soundtrack or a running commentary sounds absolutely fabulous. Sorry, Pops!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrajulashuns awn ur gnu gob.

(Thought I'd give you something to edit, make you feel at home)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home